Windows 10 Why does my PC hang during connected standby?

• Thread starter Thread starter tinwilly2
  • Start date Start date
T

tinwilly2

Hi all,

I have a Dell XPS 9310 which I bought in Jan 2021 and is running Windows 10.0.19042 Build 19042.

For around 6 weeks now, whenever the PC goes to sleep (connected standby), after a few minutes of sleep, it becomes unwakeable: high fan speed, black screen, unresponsive. Plugged in, it will stay like this permanently. Or if on battery, it will just run the battery down until it dies. I have to hold the power button down to shut it down and reboot - and it then works fine until the next sleep.

Event Viewer says it's entering Connected Standby. There are a few info/warning events after that point but nothing stands out.

Dell Support has had me run Power Troubleshooter, try to disable connected standby (you can't in the latest Windows 10 build), do a clean boot via msconfig, create a fresh user profile, run SFC scan, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - but nothing works.

Before they make me do a clean installation, does anyone have any ideas for how to find out what is happening to hang the system whilst in connected standby?

Thanks,

Martin

Continue reading...

Back