Windows 10 Why has it taken over five hours to install the latest Windows Updates? Windows 10.

• Thread starter Thread starter Taffy087
  • Start date Start date
T

Taffy087

My Windows was previously v.1909, build 18363.00 and was installed ten days ago.

Late last night, I had an email notification from Microsoft that there was another Update due. (I subscribe to email notifications from them.) At 6am today I checked for and found the Features Update so I clicked to install it.

Nearly four hours hours later (9.50am), I saw this screen "Working on Updates. Don't turn off your PC. This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times."
But this was supposed to be the latest Update? Why did it need to check for other updates? (I couldn't take a snip of this, of course.)

When it finished it at 10.45am it said there were some problems installing the updates.

I clicked Retry and my 'Check for Update' screen had gone - I've had this before - but, thank goodness, it returned a second or two later.

The "Check for Windows" screen now said that there was another Windows Update available. This finished at 11.11am. This showed the screen below. It has two 'restart now' options and I've not seen it before:

A nice touch was that when it was restarting, the 'Restarting screen' was blue, rather than the normal black. This was much easier to read but it hasn't appeared since. Can the programming team let us have it?

After more than five hours, one Feature Update and two Quality Updates, I now have Window 10 version 2004 v.19041.329.

I'm pleased and relieved to have gotten there in the end but what caused this long and tortuous route? Was it me or was it a Microsoft issue?

Continue reading...

Back