Windows 10 Why is the sample rate grayed out for my Sony headphones on the Windows 10 Sound Control Panel?

• Thread starter Thread starter dwb21317
  • Start date Start date
D

dwb21317

Since the last major Windows 10 update, and maybe as far back as the Creator’s update, the music played by my iTunes app is distorted. It's worst when using the Sony WH-CH700N headphones I have. It used to be the sound was never better than when using the headphones.

Another website I checked out (Why is System Sound Playback Distorted After Updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?) said distortion is usually because the Windows hardware sample rate does not match the WDM sample rate, and that since the Creator’s Update, the ability to change the sample rate to match the mp3s & etc. played by iTunes has been grayed out. They also said the Windows setting can only be updated using Windows Sound controls.

99% of my music was recorded at a sample rate of 44,100 khz. 16 bit or 24 bit, I don’t know, but likely 16 bit since most of it was copied from CDs.

The value in the grayed-out field for the headphones is 1 channel, 16 bit, 16,000 Hz (Tape Recorder Quality.)

The standard for the speakers is 24 bit, 48,000 Hz (Studio Quality).

Sadly, the fix they suggested at the UAudio website did not work for my headphones. The music remains scratchy and irritating.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Continue reading...

Back