Windows 7 Why was the September patch update soo slooowwwww?

• Thread starter Thread starter Davidk03
  • Start date Start date
D

Davidk03

For a variety of reasons, I have update set to manual, and I do it on the saturday day after the 2nd tuesday of the month. {{3 days for any snafus to be found and the offending patch either pulled or fixed: a practice based on bitter experience}}.

Today, my 32bit laptop running Win 7 home premium sp1 took forever to do the September 2015 patch update. The existence of 18 updates @ about 148mb was identified when I started update. The update process, normally fairly quick, was just soo slooww.

- 1st attempt, began about 9am local time. Took so long - 30+minutes just waiting at 0% complete - in the download phase that I cancelled out thinking it had stalled, re-started and began again.

- 2nd attempt, same effect. This time I just let it run. I had time to go shopping for nearly an hour, to get back and it's still at the download 0% complete stage. The green running bar still running. Another 30 minutes and it had done a download and failed installation on 10 of 18 items.

- 3rd attempt, would not even check for updates to re-try the 10 failed items. Gave up, shut down and went to lunch.

- 4th attempt. restart at 4pm local time, and there are the 10 (previously failed) items listed in the update list. Good, all selected, clicked the install button. After 30 minutes, time to have a shower, the machine is still at the download, 0% complete stage. Let it run, took the dog for a 1 hour walk. Got back and the restart after successful update had just been completed.

I've never seen windows update operating so slowly. Ever ever ever.

So, questions about why this patch update was soo slooowwww.

1. were the update servers overloaded for any known reason? I identify the servers because clearly the process at the laptop end did not terminate for timeout reasons - something kept it alive, and the servers are the only other factor in the process.

2. are the update servers the same ones being used to distribute the free copy of windows 10??? (after all, microsoft did advertise 'get your free copy of win10' in the update pages for nearly 6 weeks). If so, no wonder there's a roadblock there . . .

3. or maybe some other reason.

4. After the update install failed 10 items, why would update not even "check for updates" for 4-5 hours?

What happened to make this patch cycle so slow?

Davidk03

Continue reading...

Back