Windows 10 Why won't Windows connect to WiFi?

• Thread starter Thread starter LinuxIsMoreBetter
  • Start date Start date
L

LinuxIsMoreBetter

I'm writing this from Ubuntu.

I left Windows 15 years ago. It was when Mac was on the rise and had figured out how to make everything 'just work'. I was good at Windows then and nothing ever 'just worked'. So, I switched. As I learned more about Macs, I got turned onto Linux. I used Ubuntu for years and, just recently, figured I'd give Windows a go again.

I installed Windows on another partition and starting using it again. Everything worked for a few weeks. Then my network went out because the hard drive died on my XCP-NG host that contained my pfSense firewall and ubiquiti controller. So, I broke out an old ASUS gaming AP/router...you know the device, not the advanced system I was running before but the kind of thing everyone uses for wifi? So, then I went around the house connecting everything to the temporary wifi while I wait for my new SSD to come in the mail. Not a single device had a hiccup connecting.

Finally, I got back to my computer and the very same Windows install that had been doing fine with wifi earlier, suddenly couldn't connect. So, I rebooted and tried my ubuntu installation and it connected immediately, without issue.

Seriously, I changed to a consumer AP/router and the ONLY thing that couldn't connect was the windows install (not the ubuntu install) on 1 machine, when it had been able to connect to wifi earlier. No driver changes, nothing. I don't have a laptop. So, I can't diagnose this without rebooting every time to check the internet. Of all the systems I would expect to be absolutely ironclad at all times in a globally recognized multi-trillion dollar corporation's flagship product, it would be the system that, if it breaks, prevents the user from getting online to fix it.

It sees nearby wifi networks, including my temp wifi. Every time I put in the correct password, it tells me it cannot connect. Everything else connects, including the same machine when booted from Ubuntu.

This shouldn't be a problem.

Windows is worse than it was 15 years ago, at least then I could connect to the internet. If anyone can tell me how to fix this without having to reboot 400 times I'd appreciate it but, if you can't, then I'll just vent my frustration at how **** and unacceptable this is and leave it there.

$2 Trillion and free software still knows basic, simple wifi better.

Continue reading...

Back