Windows 10 Wifi unable to connect to WPA2-PSK AES while open network is working just fine

• Thread starter Thread starter Patrick Sikkema
  • Start date Start date
P

Patrick Sikkema

Hello all.

I'm having this weird issue trying to get my desktop pc connected to my home wireless network via an usb wifi adapter. The wireless network is set up with WPA2-PSK AES security. I am able to connect to this network with my mobile phone while my usb wifi adapter is not. When trying to connect i see the following message: "No internet, secured".

I should mention i am using a cable to acces the internet for looking up info about this issue, whenever testing wifi i simply pull the cable.

Ipconfig reveals the IP adress of the wireless connection is 169.254.221.212. After looking this up it is clear to me this is caused by APIPA.

When setting up a static ip i'm still seeing the message "No internet, secured", but the MAC adress of the adapter is visible on my router config page - wireless connections. I can also see it in the gateway router at the DHCP client list, altough shown status is "not connected" and the IP adresses' last 3 digits don't match. When matching the static IP with the one seen in the gateway router i'm getting the same results.

I'm sure the password is correct :)

For the sake of troubleshooting, i disabled wireless security for a moment. Voila, no issues whatsoever. Wireless connection working perfectly fine. I am positive i pulled the ethernet cable. When switching wireless security back to WPA2-PSK AES i'm getting the APIPA IP again. After connecting the ethernet cable i am able to set up the mobile hotspot feature in Windows and using my phone i am able to connect and having acces to the internet.

I would like to get connected to my wireless home network set up with WPA2-PSK AES security. Can someone help to explain what i am doing wrong?

I hope the description of my problem is understandable, obviously the English language is not my first tongue.

Additional info:

-USB wifi chipset: Realtek RTL8188CTV (latest driver)

-Gateway router: Ziggo mediabox XL (aka UPC Horizon box)

-Wireless router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND

Continue reading...

Back