Windows 10 Win 10 1803 changes to WASAPI and WDM-KS?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gregorio Litenstein
  • Start date Start date
G

Gregorio Litenstein

Hello. I'm one of the developers for Performous (an opensource cross-platform karaoke game). For years now we've relied on PortAudio to handle audio output and input on Windows, Mac, and several flavors of Linux.

On Windows, we default to WASAPI but give the user a choice between MME, DirectSound, WDM-KS and WASAPI. Recently, it's been brought to our attention that WDM-KS and WASAPI are broken. PortAudio is failing with an "invalid number of channels" error when trying to open an output device using either of those backends (note, this is OUTPUT, so it is not the microphone access issue)

I have done a cross-over test between the latest stable portaudio release (which is quite old) and the latest git master, as well as tried different versions of our software (newer builds v/s older ones known to work) on Windows 8 and Windows 10 1803. So far the result is the same for every combination. Windows 10 1803 fails with the aforementioned error while other versions of Windows work fine.

So... what I wanted to know is whether there had been changes to these two audio APIs that have caused them to stop working and if so, whether these changes have been documented anywhere so whoever (either us or the portaudio developers) can begin looking for a fix, or even if nothing changed in these APIs and this result is the result of a bug in this Windows release.

Continue reading...

Back