Windows 10 Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer

• Thread starter Thread starter elleswett
  • Start date Start date
E

elleswett

I work in a large business where there are a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 7. With Windows 7, we can have our label printer and an HP LaserJet connected to one PC with updated drivers, driver settings to use printer settings, and correct printer settings for each application. We have no problem going back and forth between printing labels and regular 8.5x11 sheets between applications and so forth.

With Windows 10, we have everything the same: updated drivers, correct settings, etc. The difference is that the labels won't come out the way they are configured in settings unless we set the label printer to default printer and the 8.5x11 sheets we can't even open the preview in our application until it is set as a default printer. This is frustrating and creates and extra step as well as training processes for users.

The setting "Let Windows manage your default printer" is unchecked and I tested it with it checked but to no avail. I have also tried clearing the %WINDIR%\system32\spool\printers folder and restarting the spooler. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printers and their drivers. None of this has worked. How can we work around this?

Continue reading...

Back