Windows 10 Win. 10 disk cleanup: How to delete temporary files

• Thread starter Thread starter PaulPChou
  • Start date Start date
P

PaulPChou

hi all:

I always wonder why is it that when it gets to like the 7th or 8th day, especially day 7, going to Storage and Temporary Files, I noticed the temporary files is there. It doesn't happen from day 1 to day 6. I have to clean it up. But it still appears in disk cleanup. I actually delete temporary files from manually before going to Storage. I thought it could be a bug in Windows 10. Wondering under temporary files, why it will not state 0 bytes in disk cleanup. For mine, it will state 2.07 MB. For some of you, it might state GB. I searched online and found a way for the temporary files to state 0 bytes in disk cleanup.

Here are the steps:

reminder, the following steps involve registry.

1. Please type reg under search and it will show Registry editor. Please click on run as administrator.

2. Then, go to, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporary Files

3. In the right-pane, double-click LastAccess.

4. Set the value data for LastAccess to 10. That is what I did for mine.

After you are finished and go back to the disk cleanup, you will notice under temporary files, it will state 0 bytes. A reminder: Even though it might state like 2.07 MB under temporary files, but when you actually delete the files manually, it will have no affect at all. You don't lose disk space because of it.

Hope this helps.

Warning: Do not change or modify other things in the registry. It could cause issues with your Windows.

Continue reading...

Back