Windows 10 Win 10 freezes for a few seconds (randomly)

• Thread starter Thread starter Skweetis
  • Start date Start date
S

Skweetis

Hello:

For a long time, my PC would freeze for a couple seconds and then the display would fail to render. After a lot of poking, it turns out that there is some kind of weirdness between the Spotify program downloaded from the website and some video cards. When I downloaded Spotify from the Win 10 store, the rendering crash stopped.

However, I am still getting these freezes where the PC will just stop for a couple seconds and then continue. I can't help wondering if it is still related to Spotify somehow, but after some experimenting, it seems to happen even when Spotify is not running at all.

A few notes:

• I have completely wiped and reinstalled drivers for the video card
  • No inputs occur during the freeze. So, if I type "zzzzzzzzzzzzzz" during the freeze, the PC doesn't catch up when it returns to functionality, as if sitting in a cache somewhere. It just stops taking input at all.
  • I can't detect any pattern at all. It _may_ happen more often when I am switching contexts (e.g. going from Outlook to Notepad), but honestly, I am not 100% sure that is the case.
  • When I go to the OS event viewer and reliability monitor, I am not noticing any errors that correspond with the freezes. The performance monitor doesn't go haywire when it happens.

So there's two questions here:

1. Has anyone run into this problem before?

2. I am reasonably competent around PC's. Where else can I look for clues re what his happening? Crash dump files? Which ones? How to view them? etc. I would rather not have to install and uninstall individual programs to figure out what might be the culprit.

A quick snapshot of my setup:

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i9 9900K @ 3.60GHz 29 °C

Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

RAM

32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1329MHz (19-19-19-43)

Motherboard

Alienware 0R3FWM (U3E1)

Graphics

XB271HK (3840x2160@60Hz)

XB271HK (3840x2160@60Hz)

Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Dell)

3071MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (Dell) 34 °C

SLI Disabled

Storage

1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 (SATA ) 28 °C

953GB NVMe Samsung SSD 970 (RAID (SSD))

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST BD-RE BU40N

Audio

NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Continue reading...

Back