Windows 10 Win 10 will not upgrade to version 1903 no matter how many times updating and restarting

• Thread starter Thread starter stasher dragon
  • Start date Start date
S

stasher dragon

TL;DR Win 10 version 1803 will not upgrade to Win 10 version 1903 after many attempts and trying a few fixes.

For many months, at midnight, my computer tells me it must restart to install updates. EVERY. SINGLE. NIGHT. If I wait until morning, it asks me in the morning after I wake it from sleep. EVERY. SINGLE. HOUR. UNTIL I HIT RESTART! I lived with it until I wanted to download and play this one game. Store page says I need to upgrade Windows version. What the heck has my computer been doing but updating!?!?

I search deeper and find error code 0x80070652. I find I have a failed update.

Also, I just noticed the following image has a different error code which I am currently looking up. It seems this is fixed by something I'll mention below.

So many attempts. Windows is defining insanity.

I try looking up some fixes for the specific error. I come to this page:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-update-error-0x80070652/#:~:text=If%20you%20receive%200x80070652%20error,when%20an%20update%20gets%20stuck

Step 2 mentions the Windows update trouble shooter.

"It will clear the Windows Update related temporary files, clear the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder, check the status of Windows Update-related Services, repair and reset Windows Update components, check for pending updates and more."

I download this. wu10.diagcab

The third step mentions this: "If it’s not a feature update, and only a cumulative update, you can manually download and install the Windows Update."

Windows directs me to a download list. To do a search of what I need, I need the KB number of the correct update, which the uploader is not giving me. I can look at the list and do process of elimination with the handful of relevant results, but I don't want to mess something up.

A video is found to fix error 0x80070652 This makes me make a batch file to run as admin. The new error code I mention above is supposed to be fixed by this.

I try running it a few tries. Did not fully fix my problem.

***I do a full shut down. I boot up. I quit virus software. I run wu10.diagcab but do not allow it to do the update download. I run the batch file. I open the Window Update in Settings and look for updates through that. It finds, downloads, and attempts to install. It asks to restart. I let it restart. I look at Update History and find it didn't take. It didn't read that it failed, but I think this qualifies as failing.

I eventually look at the event and find this. I don't know if it is related to what I'm going through, but it seems pretty important. It has been suggested I unplug all USB items to see if a peripheral is the offending hardware.

"
SettingSyncHost (8068,D,0) {0B5EE0BA-A03C-4ACE-B13C-A889B928092D}:
A request to write to the file
"C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\remotemetastore\v1\meta.edb"
at offset 65536 (0x0000000000010000) for 16384 (0x00004000) bytes succeeded, but took
an abnormally long time (20 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely
due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

"

Ugh!

The next thing I am going to do is look through this page to see what else I haven't tried.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-updates-fail-to-install/

If anyone has gone through what I'm going through, please let me know.

Continue reading...