Windows 10 Window displayed on all desktops becomes "sticky" when it is in foreground while switching between desktops

• Thread starter Thread starter CodeScu1ptor
  • Start date Start date
C

CodeScu1ptor

Hi,

I refer to behavior enabled by "Show this window on all desktops" and "Show windows from this app on all desktops" options. It's very useful when I want some chat app, music player or other generic thing to be on all desktops, in multiple contexts. But if I switch such app to foreground, it immediately becomes foreground application for all desktops (that's easily visible after pressing Win+Tab and looking at desktops' thumbnails.

For all windows/applications that are set to be shown on all desktops, I would rather prefer Windows to track position of such windows individually per each desktop, so if I switch such application to foreground, it doesn't automatically become foreground application for all desktops. It would be best if behavior described by me and behavior current as of Windows 10.0.19041 would be switchable through registry. I imagine that advanced users would like to use one or another depending on preference. What do you think?

If you get my point, you can ignore rest of the message below. If you're not sure what I mean, please take a look at this example:

1. [Active] Desktop 1 - writing a book:
    1. [Foreground] Text Editor,
    2. [Background] Web Browser with research materials for the book,
    3. [Background] Chat Application*.
  2. Desktop 2 - programming:
    1. [Foreground] Code Editor,
    2. [Background] Web Browser with programming articles,
    3. [Background] Chat Application*.
  3. Desktop 3 - procrastination:
    1. [Foreground] Web Browser with funny videos, memes and cats,
    2. [Background] Chat Application*.

* This is same window of Chat Application, because I have checked 'Show windows from this app on all desktops' option for Music Player. Note that I specifically chose Chat Application as an example, because the one that I have in mind, has all conversations in one window (not a good design in terms of multiple desktops, but that's an app used in my workplace and I have no power to change it to better one).

My actions:

1. I look at Desktop 1, having text editor in foreground,
  2. I see a pop-up showing that someone sent me a message related to writing a book (context of Desktop 1), so I switch to Chat Application and I have it in [Foreground],
  3. I chat for a while, then there is a lunch break, so I grab my lunch and decide to switch my working context away from book related,
  4. I press Ctrl+Win+Right, so I move from Desktop 1 to Desktop 2:
    1. What I see? Chat Application - it is app that is in foreground on all desktops now, until I will minimize it.
    2. What I want to see? Code Editor (because this is the last thing I left in foreground in that context)
  5. No, actually on a lunch break I want to switch to procrastination context,
  6. I press Ctrl+Win+Right, so I move from Desktop 2 to Desktop 3:
    1. What I see? Chat Application - it is app that is in foreground on all desktops now, until I will minimize it.
    2. What I want to see? Web Browser

What is your opinion, should it be possible to switch "window/application on multiple desktops" behavior in such way?

Regards,

Peter.

Continue reading...

Back