Windows 10 Windows 10 16299 x64 setup has failed to validate the product key

• Thread starter Thread starter Cybot
  • Start date Start date
C

Cybot

I have a damaged windows 10 1709 install that needs repairing. using both the media creation tool, and an .ISO I downloaded from the Microsoft servers, I get an error during setup that says "setup has failed to validate the product key". Windows says it's already activated, as it should be. I have tried a number of steps to get around this error message, including using the change product key option and entering the Windows 7 Ultimate key that came with my PC. windows shows no errors and says windows is activated, but windows setup still says it cant validate my key.

I have tried the following things, which all reported back a success message

used change product key in settings, using my windows 7 Ultimate OEM key

slmgr /rilc

slmgr /dlv

slmgr /xpr (came back with message "Windows(R), Professional edition: The machine is permanently activated.)

I also tried these steps:

turned off security software (AV/firewall) Eset Internet Security 11 and (anti-rootkit/antimalware) Malwarebytes 3 premium

uninstalled security software (see above)

left insider program (release preview track)

re-joined insider program (release preview track)

restart computer (multiple times)

turned off fast startup

Licensingdiag.exe -report %userprofile%\desktop\report.txt -log %userprofile%\desktop\repfiles.cab (files available on request)

I am about to give up on the media creation tool, as when ever the tool is run, it re-downloads ALL 4.XX Gb's of the windows setup files, even though the previous run of the tool already did so. I am limited to 600Kbps downloads speed on a really good day. having to re-download the same data over and over again, is not acceptable. if the files have been previously downloaded recently , the media creation tool should be able to recognize that, and not waste time by downloading the same stuff again.

how do I get past this error? I tried looking the issue up, but there were no real solutions that I could find.

Continue reading...

Back