Windows 10 Windows 10 Activation Error 0xC0000022 (Please Read for More Info)

• Thread starter Thread starter boopidoop
  • Start date Start date
B

boopidoop

Hi, first time posting on here but I have a lot of experience with computers, software and hardware, but this is completely baffling me

The main issue that I want to resolve is to simply activate Windows 10 Professional Edition, as since changing most of my hardware, I have been unable to do so

I have tried:

- Activating with multiple Windows 10 keys, and refunded them all

- Activating with keys for Windows 7 and 8 before the "update" that prevented that possibility, didn't fix anything

- Activating via multiple Microsoft accounts, including the original one I was logged into before the hardware changes

- Clicking Troubleshoot, this is what outputs 0xC0000022

I've looked into the error code, and it seems to be caused by the Software Protection service being unable to start at all. I've tried all sorts of methods to start it:

- Via "services.msc" and pressing "start"

- This returns Error Code 5, even though I am the administrator

- I have also tried this with other and new admin accounts, no dice

- Via an Elevated Command Prompt (net start sppsvc)

- This also returns Error Code 5

- Copying another (trusted) sppsvc.exe file into System32

- This leads onto another issue, as described next

In order to try to work out what was causing Error Code 5 specifically, I checked the permissions on sppsvc.exe, but found that I had read-only permissions. I changed these, but met the same result. I also seem to be locked to read-only on the entirety of the Windows, and subsequently System 32, folder.

Additional info:

- This has been happening for a few months now, ever since I changed my CPU, Motherboard, RAM and all cooling fans

- I have changed the operating system for this PC in the past, from 10 to 8.1, and am currently dual-booting Win10 and Ubuntu

- If any other information is needed, feel free to ask, but please read this post thoroughly before asking as I don't wish to repeat myself unless clarification is required

Continue reading...