Windows 10 Windows 10, audio in slow motion when using Xbox 360 wireless headset

• Thread starter Thread starter Jomahu
  • Start date Start date
J

Jomahu

Hello everyone,

I´m having issues with an Xbox 360 Wireless Headset connected to a Windows 10 pc using the Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver. It was working properly before and now it seems to be that the driver or something else is broken after the last Security Update.

The issue basically is that when I try to use my headset, the audio sounds like if I were reproducing it in slow motion. In fact, if you reproduce an audio file with Media Player, you see that the time is running slower than it should. I found a video in YouTube with someone with a similar issue to illustrate the sound. LINK. Note that the issue is not exactly the same, in my case, videos are playing fine, but the sound is the same.

Now, after testing and troubleshooting I found the following:

• The issue started after the 2004 update. I tried to use Skype and the audio was in slow motion. After testing in other computers, I found that it was related to this update. I went back to 1909 and the issue was solved. I had to do this twice since Windows keep trying to update. Now, it seems to be that after the last Security Update KB4586786 performed on 12/11/2020, the issue is back and I´m not able to uninstall this update. It seems to be that it is a protected update.
  • The issue only occurs when reproducing sound only, ie: when playing an .mp3 file with Media Player, when using a VoIP app and even with the system sounds from Windows like when you connect/disconnect a new USB device.
  • It does not happen when you reproduce a video, I have tried YouTube and clips stored in the computer using Media Player and they play fine.
  • If I switch to a different audio device like the screen connected via HDMI or separate speakers, the sound immediately changes to normal and everything works fine.
  • When using VoIP apps, the other persons told me that they are able to hear me just fine, so, the issue is only in my side with the outcoming audio.
  • I have tested in two different computers and the behavior is consistent between them. However, now both are stuck with the same Security Update and I´m unable to use the headset at all.
  • I also have the Xbox 360 controller connected to the same X360 Wireless Receiver and it is working fine, so, the divers for the receiver seems to be working properly. The issue is with the drivers used for the headset. Again, if I test the receiver and headset in a computer that haven´t had installed updates in a while (2-3 months) and still in a version lower than 2004, it works fine.
  • I have read a lot of posts about people claiming that the 2004 update broke their X360 Wireless Receiver and not it is not working with their X360 controllers. I don´t have any issue with my controller, but, the issue could be related.

Troubleshooting tested:

• Reinstalled X360 Wireless Receiver drivers. Same behavior.
  • Reinstalled X360 Wireless Headset drivers. Same result.
  • No drivers rollback option available.
  • Disabled Audio Enhancement. Same result.
  • Turned off "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device". Same result.
  • Changed sample rate and bit depth of the device. It only have two options that are the same values: 1 channel, 16 bit, 8000Hz, just that one of them says "Telephone Quality". Same result with both.
  • Spatial sound disabled. Same result.
  • Audio Troubleshooter does not find any problem.
  • Tried to update Windows to the latest version available when the computer was in 2004, the computer was up to date, then I rolled back to 1909 where it still at the moment.
  • Tried using generic audio drivers, they don´t work at all. (Microsoft Trusted Audio Driver).
  • Normal basic troubleshooting like turning device on/off, restarting computer, connecting/disconnecting the X360 Wireless Receiver from the USB port, etc.

System specs:

Windows Edition: Windows 10 Pro.

Version: 1909

OS build: 1836.3.1198

Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver:

Driver: 10.0.18362.1

Driver date: 3/18/2019

Xbox 360 Wireless Headset:

Driver: 10.0.18362.997

Driver date: 7/17/2020

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion!

Continue reading...

Back