Windows 10 Windows 10 BSOD loop after failed critical update May 2019: pre-boot to X: drive

• Thread starter Thread starter Nigeman
  • Start date Start date
N

Nigeman

Hi,

I did a system restore and deleted some old programs and then the system seemed to hang for an hour, so I just turned it off. Big mistake as I didnt realise it was immediately reinstalling some Windows updates. It now just boots into 'Preparing automatic repair'. I have tried the following options:

startup repair - fails

uninstall updates - fails

system restore - shows 3 options including windows update critical update but then 'you must enable system restore on this drive' - I think because its on X still.

When I go into command prompt, and type DISKPART and then LIST VOL - I can see the C drive, and others, but not the X drive

C: return takes me to C: In C: i tried

I tried sfc /scannow but the verification works and then 'Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation'....

I tried chkdsk /f but it says 'cannot lock current drive'...

I tried bcdedit which says bootloader and boot manager are both set at C: and osdevise is set to C: which are right.. yes?

I tried bootrec /FixMbr which completed successfully

I tired bootrec /ScanOs which found 0 - ... yet in C I can find the windows folders...

I tried in C:

• bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

Then I tried bootrec FixBoot .... and got 'access denied'

when I reboot it still goes into BSOD and then Automatic Repair. If I go into CMD i get X:\windows\system32

so none of the above worked!!Any more ideas please?

Thank You !!

Nigel

Continue reading...

Back