Windows 10 Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons

• Thread starter Thread starter bldone
  • Start date Start date
B

bldone

Hi all,

I need some guidance because I ran out of ideas on how to solve the issue I'm facing with.

I have a Windows 10 desktop computer that can't boot properly after a BSOD happened a few days ago. Here's what happening and what I've tried already:

• Windows 10 login screen is shown with 3 account to choose from (Admin account + 2 other user accounts)
  • If I choose and logging in to any of the 2 user accounts, Windows shows the desktop wallpaper set on the given account, as well as the system tray. However, there are no desktop icons shown, and system tray also missing icons, only the following items are displayed: Windows logo for start menu, search bar, cortana icon, task view icon. On the right side of the system tray there's the clock and the messages icon. However, the computer seems to be stuck here, I can move the mouse cursor, but nothing happens if I click any of the icons: start menu doesn't open, can't enter text into the search bar, etc. The clock also don't get refreshed, except if I click a few times on the system tray: then the screen briefly switches to white then back to the desktop wallpaper + system tray, and then (and only then) the clock refreshes. Ctrl+Alt+Del works (kind of), I can log out or restart the computer, but choosing task manager only brings me back to the empty desktop with the empty system tray. (see image below)
  • When logging in to Admin account, it's even worse: there's only a completely black screen with the mouse cursor, which I can move, but nothing else happens. No desktop wallpaper, no system tray, nothing. The only thing that works is Ctrl+Alt+Del, where I can log off or restart the computer, but when selecting task manager, the computer returns to the copletely black screen.
  • The exact same issues happen, when I boot into safe mode, except with lower resolution. The 2 user accounts don't show the desktop wallpaper then, only the empty system tray. The Admin account only shows totally black screen (the safe mode label on the screen also can't be seen).
  • I tried "sfc /scannow" from the command line (booting into safe mode with command line), but it did not find any issues.
  • I have a system restore point from a few days ago which I tried to roll back to, but restore doesn't work.
    (Rough translation:
    "System resotre was unsuccessful. The system files and settings of the computer were not modified.
    Details:
    System restore failed due to unknown error.
    Parameter is incorrect. (0x80070057)"
  • I also tried start up repair, did not help.
  • Is there anything else I can still try?

Continue reading...

Back