Windows 10 Windows 10 Display Settings Recommended Resolution Setting is Incorrect

• Thread starter Thread starter Chris Boorman
  • Start date Start date
C

Chris Boorman

I'm trying to drive an external monitor from my Lenovo ThinkPad. The laptop screen's maximum resolution is 1920 x 1080, and the monitor's maximum resolution is 2560 x 1440. The problem is that Windows 10 limits the maximum resolution of the external monitor to the lower resolution of 1920 x 1080. In other words, when I navigate to Display Settings > Display Resolution, I see "1920 x 1080 (Recommended)". I expected to see "2560 x 1440 (Recommended)". It seems that Windows 10 is not detecting the external monitor's native resolution.

Here's what I did to troubleshoot the problem:

• I rolled back the graphics driver and rebooted. This made no difference.

• I deleted the graphics drivers, rebooted, and then I installed the latest graphics drivers from Intel, and rebooted. It didn't make a difference.

• I installed the latest drivers for my Samsung monitor. That didn't help either.

• I connected the laptop to another external monitor (identical to the first externa monitor). No difference.

• I connected the video cable to an alternate DVI port. No difference.

I'm afraid I've run out of ideas to try - and would appreciate any help at all. :-)

Continue reading...

Back