Windows 10 Windows 10 failed to install on a new computer - missing file CI.dll status 0xc0000098

• Thread starter Thread starter EdwardTaylor5
  • Start date Start date
E

EdwardTaylor5

Yesterday I de-assembled my old computer running Vista and using the same computer case and PSU I assembled a computer with brand new RAM, CPU and motherboard and SSD and attempted to install Windows 10 from a USB stick. The USB stick is a “RETAIL VERSION” of Windows 10 (not OEM) that I purchased from reputable high street retailer [Tesco Direct].

The computer boots from the USB stick, I reach the screen for selecting the 32/64 bit version, select 64 bit and after the loading bar finishes (takes about 10secs) I sometimes see the Windows logo before I am faced with the following message in Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem

1)Insert your windows installation disk and restart the computer

2)Choose your language settings and then click next.

3)Click repair your computer.

If you don’t have the disk contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File CI.dll

Status 0xc0000098.

Info: the operating system couldn’t be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

So far I have tried several things to resolve this.

- Plugged in an older keyboard in a PS/2 port instead of using my modern keyboard.

- Tried plugging the USB stick into different USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

- I have not got any hard drives or optical drives connected or graphics cards connected as I want to use the SSD as my storage area for windows and office. None of these attempts have worked. What could be the cause of the problem? Issues with the hardware? Corrupt installation media?

The components that are currently installed are the following;

ASUS H110M-A/M.2 motherboard

Intel Celeron G3930 CPU

Crucial 8GB DDR4 -2400 [CT8G4DFS824A – sold under another code but matched to motherboard]

Crucial MX300 275GB SATA M.2 Type 2280SS SSD

The Bios correctly reads all components.

Sent from my works PC which doesn't have administrative rights.

Continue reading...

Back