Windows 10 Windows 10 file explorer - issues typing in name of a new folder

• Thread starter Thread starter LHnTX
  • Start date Start date
L

LHnTX

I am copying old client data backup files off of DVD's to Onedrive. Part of the process is that I first enter file explorer and create a new folder in my Documents file. I copy the DVD data to the new folder, I then move the new folder to Onedrive. This simple thing is proving to be an exercise in frustration.

Here is the process:

I start up file explorer.

I right click on the Documents folder and select New, then Folder.

The emply folder box comes up for me to type in the new folder name.

This is where the fun begins.

As I'm typing in the new folder name, the type box will flicker and jump, display just the last character that I typed in highlighted format, or save with "new folder" as the name, or jump up the existing file list and just display just a character or two in the box in highlighted format, or sometimes will jump to a new position and have only half of what I just typed in highlight format. By "highligted format", I mean that it looks like I hit ctrl then drug my cursor

to select the letters in the box as if I'm going to copy/paste. I've tried typing r e a l l y s l o w and that sometimes works, but often does not. If I give up and accept what is eventually left in box and just save it, then right click and select 'rename' then the whole jumping around, flickering, ignoring what I typed process starts again. I almost always takes many attempts to be able to complete the file name that I want. It is exasperating. The folder names are fairly long and concist of a "street address - mm dd yy - seller name to buyer name", but I'm not sure if this even has anything to do with the issue.

I found one post from 2015 that said this problem could be caused by "automatically pick an accent color from my background" being selected under settings / personalization / colors, but this setting is not selected. Just for grins I selected it then unselected it, but this isssue persists.

Continue reading...