Windows 10 Windows 10 file share access to Server 2012-2019 fails with Access Violation.

• Thread starter Thread starter bobmerritt1
  • Start date Start date
B

bobmerritt1

I have read many of the postings on Win10 and issues with file shares. My issues are as follows:

• I have Server 2012/2012R2 and 2019 (2019 being evaluated)
  • Non-Domain
  • Local User account setup: UserTest (tested as local user and administrator levels)
  • Shared a test folder on each system
  • Wins is running on the server and all test systems have Wins pointed correctly.
  • When I try to access a share from Win10
    • In File Explorer, I expand Network
    • Servers are present/listed
    • When I click on one of the server names, I am prompted to login.
    • I try login with server1\UserTest and password
    • I try login with server1\administrator and password
    • All login test fail with Access Denied
  • From the 2012R2 server, I can see all of the shares on the 2019 server.
  • I can click on one of the 2019 test shares and when prompted for username/password, I enter the same information as under the Win10 testing. It works.
  • From 2019 to 2012R2, the same results as from the 2012 server.
  • I cannot find any issues with the basic server side accounts or file share definitions. I used the Server Manager-File and Storage Service-Shares to define shares.
  • Windows Defender/Firewall has Advanced Sharing setting enabled.
  • Both 2012 and 2019 will not allow enabling Network discovery. I can click the button but upon saving, Discovery is turned off.

The 2012R2/2019 server is replacing an EOL NAS which has worked well for many years. Win10 access file shares on the NAS (Qnap) just fine. I do intend to install Hyper-V to run a couple of other apps. I did have Hyper-V installed early on in the testing, but with installed with no VMS the server did not appear in the Win10 Network listing. Once I removed Hyper-V, the server appears but cannot be access - Access Denied issue above.

Server 2012R2 is a Standard with GUI. 2019 is Standard with GUI.

You input is appreciated.

Bob

Continue reading...

Back