Windows 10 Windows 10 file sharing permissions problems

• Thread starter Thread starter Love22fan
  • Start date Start date
L

Love22fan

I am trying to share folders between two laptop computers on the same network. I do not want to use OneDrive, just want to use Windows File Sharing.

The network is set to type "private" on both machines.

Neither laptop is on a domain. One is running Windows 10 Pro version 2004. The other is running Windows 10 Home version 1903. Each computer only has one user, the admin user, and that is set to a microsoft account. On Win10Pro this is my work account *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, which is a Microsoft Live account or whatever gets you Office365. On the Win10Home machine it's my *** Email address is removed for privacy *** microsoft account. (these are not the actual account names)

After setting up the shared folder (shared with full control for Everyone), and making sure that File Sharing is allowed on private networks, I can open the Windows File Explorer and I see the computers under the "Network" group. However if I click on the remote compute I am prompted to "Enter Network Credentials", but the Microsoft credentials don't work. On the Win10Pro laptop I have the *** Email address is removed for privacy *** user added as a family member. On the Win10Home laptop, I tried to add *** Email address is removed for privacy *** as a family user or as an Other user, but it says "Looks like this isn't a Microsoft Account. Try another email" even though my company pays for the whole microsoft suite, and it is definitely an email I use to log in and accest my office365 email with.

Regardless, neither computer will accept the other computer's Microsoft login and allow browsing of the remote folders.

I don't really want to have to set up a new set of local users and make sure all the permissions are correct. Is there any way to log in with the Microsoft logins?

Continue reading...