Windows 10 Windows 10 fresh install on new computer, can't sign in

• Thread starter Thread starter Reed878
  • Start date Start date
R

Reed878

Title. Newly-built computer, no prior OSes on it, just installed Windows 10. On startup it shows me the login screen for "other user." Change login to Microsoft account and use the same account info that I provided when I was prompted for my Microsoft account during installation. Tells me I have the wrong password. Make new account, new password, tells me exact same thing.

For a little more detail: The Windows install I'm using was acquired through my university student account, which is also what my Microsoft account is through for Office access. When, during installation, I was asked for that account, it said I got the password wrong. So I reset the password and tried again, and it worked, all good. Once the install completed it immediately went to the login screen. No opportunity to make an account, I assume the Microsoft login (which was successful during installation) served that purpose. As above, I input the same information and get the error. When I go to the password reset site it lists, it tells me my Microsoft account, via my school email, does not exist. So this is where I figure out that it's, I guess, an Office 365 account, which is different, even though the install didn't seem to mind when it asked for an account. So I go and make a new account, with a non-school email, and a new password. When I try that one on my new computer, I get the exact same message. I can sign into this account just fine on my laptop or any other device. As far as I can tell, it's the login screen that just won't accept any information.

So my question is looking for literally any solution to this, because I'd like to use the computer. Can I make a local account? Can I skip the login and just go to the desktop like I expected when I put the thing together? Can I make it so either of my already existing accounts work? And can I do it without having to reinstall it (again, because I already had to do it a few times just to get to this screen)?

Any help is appreciated. It's incredibly frustrating to build a new computer and not be able to even use it because the login screen won't work.

Continue reading...

Back