Windows 10 Windows 10 - How to Stop the Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache and Other Caches

• Thread starter Thread starter seahawks65
  • Start date Start date
S

seahawks65

Windows 10 - How to Stop the Auto Deleting Thumbnail Cache and Other Caches

As most everyone knows on Windows 10 version, Microsoft is automatically deleting your thumbnail cache when it reaches about 500MB to 700Mb in size. This has made many thousands of people, including myself, very IRATE by loading all my thumbnails in Explorer just to have Windows delete them on a regular basis. I makes no sense whatsoever.

Previous Article:

So I will start with some information from a previous article that I have since deleted and replacing it with this new article.

I will have you do these 2 thumbnail registry entries, even though I now do not believe these will matter once you do the new steps that I have now verified from an attempt by Microsoft or Windows on trying to auto delete or silent run the Windows Disk Cleanup and wiping out your caches.

Previously, about 4 months ago, I did the following registry procedure and through 4 months and 5 Cumulative Updates and all other Windows Updates, (No Creators Packs), this managed to keep my thumbnail cache from being deleted when it always reached about 500MB to 700Mb in size. It has remained at right about 2.4GB which is large because I have many thumbnails.

**NOTE: Before making Registry Entry Changes, Create a new Restore Point.

To access the registry:

Task Bar>>Cortana search bar > type in "Regedit" and select it in the menu.

Select Yes in Security Box for RUN AS ADMIN PRIVLEDGES.

or

Go to: C:\Windows

Right click on the "RegEdit icon" and select to run as administrator.

Go to the "View Tab" and select "Address Bar"

The first one was located in the Registry at: (Copy and Paste the following location into Address Bar and Press Enter)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnail Cache

If you notice, most all the entries are for Disk Cleanup (See Photo) with an "Auto Run Flag" and the value is set to "1" which is "ON" and allows an auto run to delete the thumbnail cache.

So right click on the "Auto Run Flag" and select "Modify".
In the box, change the value from "1" to "0" which is "OFF" and select "OK".

Then the next entry was located in the Registry at: (Copy and Paste the following location into Address Bar and Press Enter)

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Thumbnail Cache

If you notice, most all the entries are for Disk Cleanup (See Photo) with an "Auto Run Flag" and the value is set to "1" which is "ON" and allows an auto run to delete the thumbnail cache.
So right click on the "Auto Run Flag" and select "Modify".
In the box, change the value from "1" to "0" which is "OFF" and select "OK".

Close out Registry Edit.

Then I suggested to do this:

Now In Task Scheduler you should Stop Auto/Silent Run for Disk Clean Up for all Items (For additional protection to your other files and caches) .

Do the following:

To disable Disk Clean Up "Silent Run"

Launch the Run utility via Win + S and type taskschd.msc and press Enter

OR

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Task Scheduler

In task Scheduler (See Photo) Highlight/Select Disk CleanUp
Tick on "SilentCleanUp" and on right side select >>"Disable"<<

(MINE IS ALREADY DISABLED, THAT IS WHY IT SHOWS ENABLE)

Resrat PC.

Update: March 18th, 2018 “DISCUSSION”

Up to the March 5, 2018—KB4090913 (OS Build 16299.251) Windows Update. The thumbnail cache has not been touched or deleted by using the settings in old article above. This was after several Cumulative Updates

Then on March 13, 2018—KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309) Update, I discovered that my thumbnail cache had been deleted. I do not know if these fixes listed in the update was the reason for deleting it, but I see no reason it should have.

*****Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Desktop Bridge, Windows Kernel, Windows Shell, Windows MSXML, Device Guard, Windows Hyper-V, Windows Installer, and the Microsoft Scripting Engine.

So I looked in the registry and the auto run values were still at 0, which is off.

So even though I had Disk Cleanup Silent Run Disabled, that Windows managed to run it with this disabled and registry values set to 0 = OFF. The User Name that runs this silent run cleanup is “USERS” and this runs the Disk Cleanup executable file which is cleanmgr.exe

It states that Maintenance task used the user name “SYSTEM” to run the Silent disk cleanup, which gets more interesting as I will explain next. Then what is very aggravating is it is suppose to be used for systems running on low disk space, which will never happen on my OS Drive.

So now I look in my Maintenance tasks, which I also had deleted long ago and had nothing even listed in it for maintenance tasks. So now USERS and SYSTEM can run the Auto Disk Cleanup, even when they are disabled and deleted.

Then I realized by looking in my other PC's that I do not care about the small amount of thumbnails on them, that I remembered I had removed a default Windows maintenance task called "winSAT". This is for running a User or System auto performance and capability test on your system which used to be on the last 3 previous versions of Windows (Can be run on 10 in Command prompt) and then it would score your systems customer experience, which was a rating number depending on your hardware and performance. shown in your system properties. But this task also performs some tasks to enhance performance when you select for it to run or auto run, and for some reason it is still in Maintenance task even though it does not run Customer Experience Feature. You will notice it is ran by user “ADMINISTRATORS”.

So now we have it disabled and deleted from maintenance scheduled tasks and it still can run and force another task to execute and run while also disabled or deleted such as Disk Cleanup auto/silent run.

Then I also had a message that “Wininet” was involved in the deletion of the Thumbnail cache and your other caches.

So now no matter what, 4 User names "USERS", "SYSTEM", "ADMINISTRATORS" & "TRUSTED INSTALLER" can use Custom Handlers and somehow run Auto/Silent Disk Cleanup and delete your files and caches.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The Resolution to Stop the Thumbnail and Other Caches from Being Deleted”

So this has been fully tested as I had to figure this out. The moral of the story is if you remove all of the user “USER NAMES” that can run Disk Cleanup, then they cannot run it and delete your Caches and files.

So I downloaded the newest Update at Microsoft Update Catalogue. Then I always have a System Image, or you can use System Restore if you do not have a System Image created.

I unplugged my LAN cable to my modem as I knew once I restored system from image and logged on, Windows Update would already be scanning and downloading to reinstall this update again.

So I logged on and did this. I went to C:\Windows|System32 Folder and typed in search >> cleanmgr.exe <<. This is the Disk Cleanup Executable file.

Then I right clicked on cleanmgr.exe>>Properties>>Security Tab>>Advanced

You can see here the TRUSTED INSTALLER as the Owner and all the user names listed below that can run Disk Cleanup.

Now take a snippet of the Owner and all users in the list.

Now you select CHANGE next to OWNER.

Advanced>>Find Now>>Select your user account name in the list>>OK

Apply>>Verify OK. Now you are Owner of that file.

Now select disable inheritance.

Now select ADD>>Select a Principle>>Advanced>>Find Now>>Select your user account name in the list>>OK>>OK

Now select full control permissions box>>OK

Now you are owner and on the list with full permissions.

Now delete all the other users in the list except yours.

Now no other user name, no matter what, can start and run Disk Cleanup..

So this is all you have to do.

I then installed the new Cumulative Update manually, connected my LAN cable, restarted my pc to complete the install. Windows Update then installed the other updates such flash player, WSRT, Etc.

My Thumbnail Cache and all the other Caches in Disk Cleanup were not touched as they cannot be, as only myself as the Owner and sole User to operate Disk Cleanup can run this program.

----------------------

“Additional Options”

I am going to add that I also have deleted the following Tasks in Task Scheduler, before I did the update again.

Disk Cleanup

Maintenance

Wininet

You simply select the task on left hand side.

Select each task in the center pane.

Then select delete under Selected Items in right hand side pane.

Note: Before deleting them, select export for each listed task. This is so later, if you choose to do so, you can restore each task and its properties back by using import.

These tasks are saved in XML file formats and can be viewed in your browser. Be sure to label your folders for each task so when you import back, you are using the correct task for each.

I also went to C:\Windows\System32 Folder, typed in search >> WinSAT.exe << and took ownership and sole user on that file too as I did Disk Cleanup >> cleanmgr.exe <<. I do not want maintenance to auto run and it will even if disabled or deleted in Task Scheduler.

Now for Wininet, I mentioned it also runs and is for your Caches, so I also deleted it from Task Scheduler.

Also, deleting WinInet from Task Scheduler has no negative effect on your system. Windows update will still automatically run as normal scanning, downloading and installing other updates.

NOTE: Now for Maintenance – WinSAT, you can run it manually here anytime you choose to do so.

For more Information on WinInet

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa385473%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

NOTE: Remember you can always run Disk Cleanup at any time yourself.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools >>Disk Cleanup

Thumbnail Cache still at 2.4GB after the changes and Windows Cumulative Updates.

Continue reading...

Back