Windows 10 Windows 10 Insisting I Elevate Things That Shouldn't Need Elevation

• Thread starter Thread starter Maygay
  • Start date Start date
M

Maygay

Recently Trusted Installer decided it wanted to take ownership of all my program files, Program Data, and the Users folders across 2 of my internal drives and got real draconic with permissions. Also some permissions entries were corrupted. Like it made it so my own account didn't have write access to itself without an admin which it also is and still had to use do as admin.

I discovered this while trying to install some new software maybe 3 days ago and have been fighting with it ever since.

Now I fixed all that pretty simple, I'm just including it as I'm pretty sure it's relevant as this started at the same time. Actually there were some folders that refused to change ownership and gave a few could not be enumerated errors but they're like system folders so I didn't bother with them as they aren't relevant to what I'm doing right now.

Several programs insist they need administrator privileges. And still won't run properly even if I use run as administrator

Before this happened one of the programs did not require any sort of elevation, and did not have the UAC shield icon on it's icon. I've tried reinstalling it. Several others are the same though I haven't tried using them. Others I've recently installed.

I am logged in on an admin account which is also my user account and aside from the backdoor admin account is the only account on the computer.

These programs are set to run as administrator in the compatibility settings.

I'm told that at one of the programs should not need admin privileges unless I set them. I'm the sole user of this computer, nobody else has access.

They have the UAC icon even though I have UAC completely disabled. Again, none of them had this a week ago.

I tried enabling developer mode or whatever

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 recently and haven't bothered to add any other security software so this is 100% a windows issue

I completely disabled all Windows Security settings

I tried using dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, and sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt and restarting.

Used CCleaner to fix registry issues and clean out stuff like temp folders

Reinstalled one of them several times after taking steps to fix it

Anyways I'm at a loss of what to do here so help would be appriciated

Continue reading...

Back