Windows 10 [Windows 10] Invisible overlay and weird click behaviour

• Thread starter Thread starter Ekoes_
  • Start date Start date
E

Ekoes_

Hi !

I've been having some trouble with Windows 10 lately.

I'm running on Windows 10 Pro version 1903, OS version 18362.778.

Proc : Intel COR i5-9400f

Several times per day, seemingly at random, an global invisible overlay appears and prevents me on clicking on anything accross my two monitors (Samsung C24F396FHU).

I can still go through my application by using ALT+TAB but if I try to click on any of them, anywhere, the application loses the focus for something else I can't see.

This overlay extends over the Windows bar too, so I can't click on the Start button either.

I didn't see anything pecular on the Task Manager when this happens.

I've found out that killing the explorer.exe process via the Task Manager and then restarting it with Windows + R gets rid of this invisible overlay.

BUT (all cap for dramatic effect)

After that, Windows starts handling the mouse clicks very weirdly.
I can click on applications and use them, but for some specific buttons, the click doesn't work. The hovering of the button is working, the app has the focsus and is knowing that the cursor is on the button (ie: tooltip on the cursor, or the arrow changes to an hand) but the click doesn't do anything.

The buttons I can't click on are the following :
- all the buttons in the Windows Start Menu, even though I can click on the Start Button

- all of the Windows Settings Screens

- MalwareBytes buttons

- For some reasons, and this on all browsers, I can't click on any of the Facebook Messenger Desktop conversations buttons...

I think there might be more buttons I can't click on but those are the only one I've found so far...

Strangely enough, if I lock my computer (Windows + L) and log back in, the issue is gone and I can click again on those specific buttons.

What I've tried so far (and it didn't worked) :

- scf /scannow AND dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth in the Powershell Console and then rebooting

- Uninstalling the Logitech G-Hub that came with my mouse (Logitech MX518)

- Forcing the Desktop mode in the Tablet menu (the second bug with the buttons made me think maybe Windows considers it is running on a tablet, even though I'm using a desktop computer)

- Reinstalling Nvidia drivers (RTX 2060 SUPER)

- Scanning for viruses with MalwareBytes, nothing other than Adwares on Google Chrome

- Using a different mouse/keyboard

I'll reset my Windows OS as a last resort...

Do you have any idea on what may causes these issues and how to fix it ?

Continue reading...

Back