Windows 10 Windows 10 is not upgrading from Home to Pro after Hard disk replacement and OS reinstall

• Thread starter Thread starter H.V.Sharma
  • Start date Start date
H

H.V.Sharma

Hi,

I got my laptop (Dell Alienware 15 R3 [Have 3 SSD ports and 1 HDD port]) with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I upgraded it to PRO via Microsoft Store in May 2018. It had 2 hard disks -> 1 SSD and 1 HDD. Later I installed an additional nVME SSD as well and installed OS on that. I have been using it ever since.

Recently, my HDD crashed. So I completely removed it and installed another nVME SSD. I had some programs installed on my hard disk previously so I thought of doing a clean windows install. I used Media creation tool to create an ISO and used it to reinstall windows.

But I recently noticed that my version of Windows is Windows 10 Home. When I go to Microsoft Store, it shows me "Buy" option rather than install upgrade. I still have the order details in the same Microsoft account by which I bought the upgrade.

I also tried entering the generic Windows 10 Pro key (VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T) but it didn't work. I called Microsoft support as well. The Level 1 technical executive kept repeating these words:

"Since you had a 'KEYLESS' windows, you have to purchase a new Windows 10 Pro with a Product Key to have a PRO version. Nothing can be done further!"

I refused to accept that answer and I asked him to transfer the call to higher level. He kept me waiting for 20 mins on call saying I am transferring please bear with me. At last, the call got disconnected.

This is completely unethical from MS. I didn't change my laptop but I just changed my damn hard drive! I already paid around 120$ for the upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Pro! Why in the world should I purchase again?

Continue reading...

Back