Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro (1903): No login/password field after screen lock - requires sleep mode/reboot to appear

• Thread starter Thread starter timboid
  • Start date Start date
T

timboid

Hello support

I'm running Windows 10 Pro (1903) 64-bit Build 18362.1082 on a Lenovo T490s.

In the last week or so (probably after some update), I am getting similar symptoms to other older posts on this issue whereby when the screen lock kicks in (either automatically, or by using Windows+L), I can no longer get the password field to appear when I want to log back in. The fingerprint reader is also rendered inoperative.

The only way I can get back in is to put the laptop into sleep mode (press the Power button or click the Power > Sleep icon) and waking it back up. Then, I am able to log in with my finger print or regular password.

When it is on the lock screen, if I hit Enter or Space, the background picture blurs (because the colour transparency effects are enabled) but then I get no password field. And I've already mentioned that the fingerprint unlock doesn't work.

I have looked at other solutions in the Microsoft Community and tried the following:

* Set the Credential Manager service to Automatic (it was set to manual) > this service is currently running

* Disabling Colour Transparency effects (Display Personalization)

* Installing all current Windows updates that I'm offered (I do not yet have the option to upgrade to Windows 10, version 2004)

* Installed all the latest Lenovo driver and firmware updates offered

* Disabled Fast Start (Power options)

* Run the System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow) --> this came up clean

* Run the Power Troubleshooter --> this fixed a couple of things but I still get the same problem

* Started up the laptop in Safe Mode --> This is the only time where the problem does not occur but it does not really help me in diagnosing the root cause

* Started the laptop with a Clean Boot using instructions from this page --> I still got the problem under these conditions, so I can only assume that it is a Windows-related issue.

* Tried setting up a secondary user account (according to this page) and that user also has the same issue.

And so in summary, nothing I've tried works apart from booting into Safe Mode, which is not really an option for me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Continue reading...