Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro Timeline no longer displaying all activity tiles

• Thread starter Thread starter DustinHames
  • Start date Start date
D

DustinHames

Hello,

I am having a problem with windows timeline not displaying every file that is opened. I.e. it will display the activity tile in Activity History for WordDocument1.docx but not WordDocument2.docx, even though the files are in the same directory. Similarity it will do that with CAD files, pdfs, photos, other office documents etc. I am using a Lenovo P51 with Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.503)

This problem started the after updating to 1809. Unfortunately I am outside of the 10 day window that Microsoft allows for roll back.

Once I find a file that an activity tile gets created for. Windows Timeline will reliably create that activity tile whether it is stored on a network drive or a local drive. However, once that file is moved to a new location the reliable activity tile creation stops.

I have a ticket open (SRX1472050098ID) but I have been disconnected several times due to the updates Microsoft is performing on their system.

The first thing I tired when I noticed I had a problem was to make sure everything was turned on in Settings à Privacy àActivity History. “Store my activity history on this device”, “Send my activity to Microsoft” and “Show activity from these accounts” are all turned on. They were already enabled.

I then tired adding the keys to the regsity, EnableActivityFeed, PublishUserActivities and UploadUserActivities and set them all to a value of “1”. No difference.

Then I tried adding the keys via group policy editor.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\OS Policies

Enable Activity Feed = Enabled

Allow publishing of User Activities = Enabled

Allow upload of User Activities = Enabled

No difference.

I tried creating a local account and logging in with that, no difference.

I checked to see if “sync settings” was turned on under Settings à Accounts à Sync your settings. It was not turned on so I enabled it and it did not make a difference.

sfc /scannow shows no integrity violations.

Disabling my antivirus and firewall (Bitdefender Total Security 2019) made no difference.

Reinstalling windows made no difference.

Running microsoftaccountdiagnostic.diagcab found a couple of issues “Cant connect to the sync service” and “Rootcauses founds and logs created” are both listed as detected but I am not sure what to do with this information.

Also, when I log into the privacy dashboard on the Microsoft website, accessible through the “Privacy dashboard option under activity History setting it records which app I was using but not the file name.

Checking “Users must enter a username and password to use this computer” in netplwiz, restarting and deselecting seems to increase the number of programs that make activity tiles but all files still do not create an activity tile.

More missing activity tiles seem to be from files loaded from network drives (specifically, Google Drive Filestream) but I cant seem to nail down a pattern.

Any help is greatly apricated!

Regards,

Dustin

windows 10 timeline feature not working ? Here how to fix

Turn On or Off Sync Settings for Microsoft Account in Windows 10

Windows 10 Update 1809 - Syncing of Timeline no longer working and Cloud Clipboard doesn't sync either

Timeline feature not working in Windows 10

Windows Timeline not working

[FIX] Timeline Not Working In Windows 10 V1803 Or Later

Indexing

Timeline not working for me Solved - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Current configuration

In Group Policy Editor

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\OS Policies

Enable Activity Feed = Enabled

Allow publishing of User Activities = Enabled

Allow upload of User Activities = Enabled

in Regedit

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups

Added “Enabled” value set to “1”

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SettingSync\Groups\AppSync

Changed “Enabled” from Value from “0” to “1”

Continue reading...