Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro & Windows 8.1 Pro Media Compatibility Issues - M-Disc BD-R DL & M-Disc BD-XL TL

• Thread starter Thread starter Savian1
  • Start date Start date
S

Savian1

I have a Dell XPS-8700 desktop PC running Windows 10 Pro v10.0.19041 (Build 19041, with all latest updates installed). I have two new internal SATA BD-RE drives installed: LG WH16NS60 and Pioneer BDR-212ULBK. The LG WH16NS60 drive has M-Disc DVD R/W capability while the Pioneer BDR-212ULBK has all available types of M-Disc R/W capability, including M-Disc BD-R and BD-XL, DL & TL. If I insert into the Pioneer BDR-212ULBK drive either a blank Verbatim 50 GB M-Disc BD-R DL or a blank Verbatim 100 GB M-Disc BD-XL TL, Windows doesn't recognize this disc, i.e. clicking on the drive in File Explorer returns these messages: "Please insert a disc into BD-RE drive (N:)", followed by "N:\ is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect. OK" Windows actually does recognize that a disc has been inserted into this drive because in File Explorer the drive icon changes to a disc after it spins up.

However if I acknowledge these messages then use Nero Burning ROM 2020 edition, this app can successfully write and read files to either a blank Verbatim 50 GB M-Disc BD-R DL or a blank Verbatim 100 GB M-Disc BD-XL TL. So it appears that Windows 10 Pro has compatibility issues with these types of M-discs. Also I have a new external Pioneer BDR-X12UBK USB drive that has all available types of M-Disc R/W capability and I have tested this drive with my Dell XPS-8700 desktop PC; and also with an older HP laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro (with all latest updates installed). Inserting these same discs into the BDR-X12UBK USB drive while attached to the HP laptop displays the same error messages, so it appears that Windows 8.1 Pro has the same M-disc compatibility issues.

In addition I used the Dell SupportAssist diagnostic app to test all of these drives with various disc types (including DVD, Blu-ray and DVD-RAM) and they passed with no issues detected.

The bottom line question is: why can Nero Burning ROM write and read these types of Blu-ray M-discs while Windows cannot even recognize that these discs have been inserted into the drives?

Continue reading...

Back