Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro x64 - When screens turned off (time, sleep, or shutdown) screen goes black, GPU fans go to full

• Thread starter Thread starter Tiberious_ST
  • Start date Start date
T

Tiberious_ST

Ok, so I've been troubleshooting this for a over a month and CANNOT find the solution. I have updated Windows 10 x64 to the latest version, all updates installed. Latest device drivers. Latest motherboard BIOS. Whenever Windows turns off my monitors (or even one monitor during testing) if the GPU has been stressed at all in most cases but sometimes even if not), the screens go black and the GPU fans go to full speed. Most often this occurs during sleep mode but it also occurs during shutdown though less frequently. This also occurs if the inactivity time hits and Windows turns off the screens, I've since disabled this.

Troubleshooting steps I've tried: New Power Supply, RMA'd the card twice, no change, Put in a fresh hard drive with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro x64 and the latest Nvidia driver (also the default Nvidia driver once the card is detected by the fresh installation of Windows), ran a full test of the memory, tried a different PCI slot, changed out the PCI-e power cables to the power supply, reset the Bios to default (I have NOT reverted to an old BIOS as yet but it's on my list.), changed power plan settings various times, changed monitors and monitor cables (DP and DVI) I have not run a stress test on the card as I've run video intensive games and I know that once the card has been stressed, the black screen/GPU fan thing is more likely, not sure what would be gained. The card is not overheating. I have reviewed the Event logs with nothing clearly indicating a problem with the GPU, I have noted DCOM errors and when the "crash" occurs I noticed that the HID Microphone device driver becomes corrupted, it's been removed with no change in the crash.

System Config:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Asus ROG Maximus Hero X Wifi

EVGA GTX 1080ti Black Gaming 11Gb w/ICX cooler (Not overclocked)

32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 PC 3600

Intel I7-8700K (not overclocked)

OS Drive - Samsung M.2/NVME 860 Pro 512gb in PCI mode (test drive was a WD traditional drive, SATA)

As the situation still occurred on a fresh installation of Windows, I do not believe that any other software is causing this.

In most cases the system is stable until sleep or power off, though it has happened rarely in the beginning while in use, so I am posting this to the Sleep and Power on/off topic, if this is wrong, please move it to the appropriate topic catagory.

Please help me out on this, I'm out of ideas.

Jim

Continue reading...

Back