Windows 10 Windows 10 Randomly blackscreening and restarting, as well as headphones acting weird

• Thread starter Thread starter Dictoo
  • Start date Start date
D

Dictoo

Random Blackscreens:

Hey! Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. My Windows 10 computer keeps randomly blackscreening and restarting. It's only happened twice so far, but I wanted to eliminate this issue before it gets serious. I'm running a very new install of the OS, having just recently migrated from Arch

Linux. Everything was fine, I was playing games on steam and decided to log off and watch a video on youtube. A few minutes into the video, my screen went black and my computer restarted. I opened the video back up and kept watching. After another minute or so(I didn't start the video over), the computer did it again. This time, however, the noise you typically hear when a game crashes(a buzzing noise) played before the restart. I haven't installed any programs not already on windows besides Firefox, Discord, Steelseries Engine, and Steam.

Headphones issue:

I'd normally leave this to Steelseries support but considering they are off for a few days I thought I'd ask it here. What follows is the transcript from my support ticket:

I installed Windows 10 yesterday after running Linux on my machine for a week or so. It shouldn't matter, but the distro I was using was Arch. Today is Christmas and I received the Arctis Pro headset. I plugged it in to my PC via the USB attached to the game/chat mixer dial and it detected the headset fine, said everything was working. The only problem was that I had no sound at all through the headset. I tried the Windows 10 diagnostic virtual agent test, and the audio tone it played went through my speakers instead of the headset. Despite that, trying to play audio(via a youtube video) did not go through the speakers or the headset at all. I tried unplugging the headset's usb and using the 3.5mm jack to plug into my PC, but that just played audio through the speakers. I eventually got around to installing the Steelseries Engine software, and at first all was fine, it detected my headset perfectly. I still had no sound, but the live preview picked up my microphone just fine. Eventually the software showed a prompt on the home screen where it displays your devices to reconnect my headset. I did that, and after a bit, the same prompt appeared. I repeated this a few times, and eventually I took to the internet to troubleshoot. I saw a Reddit post that seemed to have the same problem as me ( View: https://www.reddit.com/r/steelseries/comments/5k8acz/arctis_5_continuously_says_reconnect/
). While this post said that their LEDs and microphone were not working, mine worked just fine. A reply to this post said that I was at risk of damaging the firmware on the USB. Another reply said that the cable may be backwards, but I checked the physical manual that came with the headset and both cables were plugged in the same way. I'm scared to try reversing it because I don't want to damage my headset. What should I do? Thanks!

Continue reading...