Windows 10 Windows 10 randomly freezing for a few seconds

• Thread starter Thread starter Anton_v_e
  • Start date Start date
A

Anton_v_e

Hello everyone,

So I bought a brand new "HP Spectre x360 13-aw0350nd" 2 days ago. Specifications are:
-Intel® Core™ i7-1065G processor
-33,8 cm (13,3") Full HD-touchscreen
-16GB RAM - 512GB SSD
-Intel® Iris™ Plus
- Windows 10 (10.0.18363)

When I got it, I installed some of my apps, logged in on most of my accounts and then starting using it lightly. After a little while I started to get a full-on system freeze for 1 or 2 seconds, after which it returned to normal. During the freeze the music I was playing gets distorted. I kept doing what I was doing and it only took me 10 minutes to get the same issue again. So I tried some updates to see if it fixes the issue. But next day same thing. Ever since I've been trying to troubleshoot the issue. I'm also in contact with HP to see if they have a fix for the issue. By now this happened about 12 times in the course of 2 days.

Troubleshooting done so far:
- I did a cinebench stress test > No issue, could still use the entire system without lag or freezes
- I kept a eye on cpu temperatures > No issue there
- Installed all windows updates > No fix
- Installed bios update directly from HP installer assistant > No fix
- Installed all driver updates available directly from HP installer assistant > No fix
- A full hardware system test (as suggested by HP support) > Passed on all aspects
- "Reset this pc" was performed (as suggested by HP support), I once again did all windows updates and driver updates > No fix

Consistents so far:
- 1 Google chrome tab with music playing
- 1 Google chrome tab with "Typeracer" to practice my typing speed
- 3,5 mm headphones plugged in

Video example (freeze happens around 0:07): https://streamable.com/1mxals

All other aspects varied with the same result, on charger or off, bluetooth mouse connected or disconnected, stand alone or with external monitor. Over wifi or directly wired through thunderbolt dock. Sometimes the CPU usage shows a clear spike when it was frozen, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it freezes for 1 second, other times it would freeze for 5 seconds. Sometimes it will take me a hour to recreate the issue, one time I only pressed the play button and it happened. Memory usage sits at 6,7gb/15,7gb, disk is at 0-2%, gpu at 3%.

HP will get back to me on monday and I'll have to tell them that their suggested way of fixing the issue didn't work. So before I have to ship this thing back for a replacement I'm just hoping it's a windows issue and not a hardware issue. So I'd like to know what else I can try to fix it. I'll keep playing with the consistents to try and pin down the cause. Next I'm going to try a some different browsers.

Kind regards,
Anton

Continue reading...

Back