Windows 10 Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down.

• Thread starter Thread starter MarkDurston
  • Start date Start date
M

MarkDurston

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1803)

Greetings.

A much-discussed topic and an issue from which I also suffer, and have not yet found the right answer to.

As long as I am working, and there is mouse and/or keyboard activity, everything is 100% stable and functional and I can continue working indefinitely. If I allow the machine to stand idle for some minutes (usually under 5), with no programs running, I get a total freeze, with unresponsive mouse and keyboard.

If something is running (e.g. a Windows Update or WinDefender scan) the freeze still happens, but takes longer. I've tried leaving it running like this, but with a Task Manager window open, and noticed that the freeze is almost always preceded by a spike in CPU and HDD activity.

My drivers and BIOS are all of the latest available versions.

I have run the DISM and SFC utilities and no issues are reported.

I have changed Startup configuration to exclude all but Windows/Microsoft items - this does not eliminate the issue.

I've run Windows CheckDisc, as well as the drive manufacturer's checking utility.

I've run MemTest86 - pass with no issues.

I've tried changing settings in the Power Management profile - seems to have no effect. I have noticed that on occasion, the HDD idle time threshold setting seems to change by itself without me doing anything. Almost as if something is corrupt in the Power Management profile.

My own logic is leading me away from a failing hardware explanation.

I am noticing quite a number of DistributedCOM 10016 errors in the Event Log, which may or may not be related - I don't know much about events.

I was hoping to find a logical explanation and solution, without doing a Windows reset.

Grateful for input from anyone who has faced and solved this issue.

Continue reading...

Back