Windows 10 Windows 10 Search Does Not Find Any Settings or Control Panel Items

• Thread starter Thread starter bill_code
  • Start date Start date
B

bill_code

This issue is an old issue, but all the older threads are locked, so I created a new one to share what worked for me.

In my administrator account, I created a new Windows 10 user. (You have the option of creating a local user so it doesn't require a Microsoft email address.) Once that user is created, navigate to:

"C:\Users\[new_user_name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy"

Copy all subfolders.

Paste them in the corresponding location in the user account which is having the search problem:

"C:\Users\[problem_user_name]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy"

(In essence, you are replacing the folders from one user account in another user account.)

This worked for me. I tried the other options below, but they did not work for me. Perhaps they will for you.

1. uninstalling Cortana from PowerShell and then reinstalling Cortana from Powershell (do an online search for how to do this).

2. changing the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\

Modify DWORD 'SetupCompletedSuccessfully' to 0

Reboot

3. right-clicking on the Cortana icon. Go to 'App Settings.' Click on 'Repair' and/or 'Reset.'

4. right-clicking on the 'Indexed' folder in this location:

C:\Users\[problem_user_name]\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState

Go to Properties > Advanced > Check 'Allow files in this folder to have contents...' (If it it already checked, uncheck it, click 'OK', click 'Advanced' again and re-check it.

5. deleting and building Windows search index

6. specifically adding the following location to the window search:

C:\Users\billp\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState

7. restoring to a previous restore point (this surprisingly didn't work, even after restoring to a point before the problem began)

Well, I hope this will save someone a few hours.

Continue reading...

Back