Windows 10 Windows 10 Search Indexer Frequently Gets Stuck With High CPU

• Thread starter Thread starter ajkessel
  • Start date Start date
A

ajkessel

Running Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356)/Office 365 ProPlus Version 1808 on a 2018 X1 Carbon (maximum specs)/SSD drive. I have Indexing Options set to normal settings--just indexing some local folders on the internal C drive, plus Outlook mail. Not indexing any external or network drives or unusual folders.

Every few weeks, I encounter an issue with Windows Search Indexing slows to a crawl and CPU use skyrockets. The "items indexed" in the Indexing Options control panel seems stuck--maybe it increases by one item every few minutes, if that. Problems like this are legion on these and other message boards, but I've yet to find a dependable and durable solution. I've tried:

• Rebooting (makes no difference)
  • Killing and restarting Windows Search service from services.msc (makes no difference)
  • Killing and restarting Cortana (makes no difference)
  • Running the Indexing Troubleshooter (doesn't find anything wrong/makes no difference)
  • sfc /scannow (makes no difference)
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth (and /scanhealth, /restorehealth, etc) (makes no difference)
  • Deleting my OST file and waiting several hours for it to rebuild/reindex (this might fix the problem for a few days, but it always comes back)
  • Deleting the entire Windows search index and waiting several days for it to rebuild (this might fix the problem for a few days, but it always comes back)
  • Looking in Event Viewer for messages from Windows Search service--don't see anything notable there

Has anyone figured out a systematic way to troubleshoot and fix indexer issues? Any workaround approaches here? It's debilitating to lose my ability to search every week or so.

The only thing I've found that is noteworthy is the size of c:\programdata\microsoft\search\data -- it shows as 27.2GB on disk. I assume it is so large due to my large volume of mail, but I don't know for sure. Indexing options shows greater than 2 million items indexed. Is Windows just not able to reliably index a large mailbox?

One other relevant data point, perhaps, is after exiting Outlook, indexing is more likely to say it is finished. But then upon re-opening Outlook it returns to "indexing in progress" and seems to be stuck. The "Indexing Status" within Outlook (as opposed to "Indexing Options" in Windows) shows over 70,000 items remain to be indexed, and the number does not decrease appreciably over time.

Continue reading...

Back