Windows 10 Windows 10 takes an exaggerated long time to restart and shutdown

• Thread starter Thread starter A__Person
  • Start date Start date
A

A__Person

Hello.

I have a 6th Generation Intel Core i5 CPU, a GeForce RTX 20 Series GPU and 16 GB RAM on a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

And I have the following issues:

1. Windows restart time takes approx. 3:25 minutes;

2. Windows shut down time takes approx. 3:15 minutes.

Windows boot time is usually less than 20 seconds, though, which is good - it's approximately the same since the last Windows reinstall from scratch. The operating system runs on a SSD, which has only 1 partition (if this is somehow relevant).

These 2 issues started to occur somewhen since 15th of December. Before that, Windows restart/shut down times took approx. 20-40 seconds.

I check for Windows, drivers, antivirus and programs updates at least once per day and update them whenever updates are available.

I tried to figure out what service/startup item may cause these issues and I performed a clean boot as stated in the following article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
Even with a clean boot, Windows restart/shutdown times take approx. 3:25/3:15 minutes. So I guess that no service or startup item is causing these extremely long times.

Since then, I installed:

- a game from a game platform, but they are installed on a HDD, which I only unlock when I use games and programs from that HDD (they aren't startup items and their services don't run in background);

- SSD's manufacturer's official tool for optimization & diagnostics (not a startup item, its service doesn't run in background).

Could someone please give me some advices/tips to help me fix these 2 issues?

Thank you.

Continue reading...