Windows 10 Windows 10 takes upwards of a couple hours to boot

• Thread starter Thread starter stenberg98
  • Start date Start date
S

stenberg98

My PC has been having issues with booting for the last month or two. Sometimes when i start up i get the spinning dots for 30 minutes to an hour to this last time it took over 2 hours just to reach the login screen.

I checked SFC the first time and i got several errors with duplicate permissions but as i tried to chase down a fix for those the errors began to disappear and now when i run SFC it shows "no errors."

I tried disabling fast boot a couple times. the first time it worked and i re-enabled it to see if maybe toggling fast boot would clear out some sort of hangup. it worked for a couple days then went right back to taking an hour to boot up so i disabled it again. After the 2004 update we just had it started again and thought with this latest update, windows had kicked back on but fast boot is still disabled so thats not the issue.

i keep all my drivers up to date and graphics being an issue sounds stupid anyway because at that point wouldnt i be seeing problems with rendering images and not simply STARTING WINDOWS?

i keep checking system logs but im not seeing anything other than trivial errors or "info" stuff so what it sounds like to me is a hung process keeps windows from completing its bootup process but i cant find out what to save my life. I did notice in task manager that the "uptime" matches when i tried powering on the PC at first, so windows sees it was on before i could log in which means SOME of windows' system processes were working and functional.

im not sure how related these issues are but ive noticed powershell admin mode hangs up when i try and use it. The display to try the new cross-platform message shows but hitting enter for the prompt does nothing.

im sorry if this is a really rambling post but im tired and frustrated and no one seems to have an answer. Whats keeping windows from booting? ill post any other info you need

Continue reading...

Back