Windows 10 Windows 10 Update has corrupted my user profile and signs me in to a temporary account

• Thread starter Thread starter Soli_gooner
  • Start date Start date
S

Soli_gooner

As a result of the update, the login sequence is failing; Windows error message is that we cannot sign into your account; as a result the temporary account in use means that all application settings are also lost and the machine wants to reconfigure every installed desktop application.

I tried a system restore to a point earlier this month, I think before the issue arose, but the restore failed to complete.

# I started looking at this thread for a fix - changing the existing admin user profile settings is possible as described (Step 3)

Sign in to your Microsoft account

but restarting the machine any changed settings are overridden and the new incorrect ones retained!

# Trying to create a new local admin user (step 4) so far this picks up the new incorrect desktop and application settings. Why is this? How can it be that a "vanilla" system update corrupts so easily!!

# Have seen in this linked article - that there is a suggestion to replace the corrupted profile with a new one via a delete sequence.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...e-failed-sign-error-windows-10-a.html#option2

Not sure what the next step is now, if the above new admin user does not have the correct settings will this affect what I do if I delete the one previous existing admin profile? Will a new one still be correctly created?

# If I do this and then try to copy back enough data files and settings-related files and folders from the old user profile folders - how does the new user profile folder get created - is it automatic or manually by me?; how to I know which files and folders I need to copy from the old profile folders - trial and error / if I copy them all, will I also copy the corruption the new settings??

What a mess for should be a run-of-the-mill background maintenance task!!!

Please help.

Continue reading...

Back