Windows 10 Windows 10 Update/Store broken with 'Pending downloads' - Network showing 'Not connected' but it is working?

• Thread starter Thread starter Gerrion
  • Start date Start date
G

Gerrion

Hello,

Windows 10 recently decided to perform an update to the latest version around 5th October. Since the update, something has gone very wrong with my Windows 10 installation. Before the update, everything was fine and dandy with my PC and I had no issues whatsoever. Now, having been forced to update I have the following issues;

1) The Network Status Icon (Task Bar) is showing a red cross and tool tip 'Not connected - No connections are available' (Ethernet is Connected and I can browse my LAN and the internet just fine)

2) Microsoft Edge browser doesn't work (But I never ever use it anyway)

3) Windows Store is broken with 'You'll need the internet for this. It doesn't look like you're connected to the Internet. Check your connection and try again. 0x800704cf'. But I can browse the Internet with Chrome, Firefox and Safari just fine!

4) [Settings] -> [Network & Internet] says 'Not Connected - You aren't connected to any networks' but I clearly am

5) Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections shows the 'Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller' is Enabled just fine

6) Windows Explorer (when clicking on the Network in the left Tree View shows 'This computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect...' at the top of the window. Clicking on this yellow panel does nothing

7) Clicking on the Windows Icons (bottom left) brings up the start panel with Tiles all showing a download icon. The tool tip says 'A great app is on it's way!' when clearly it is not

8) Settings->Windows Update (after a new boot/restart) says 'Updates failed - We couldn't install some updates because the PC was turned off'. But my PC wasn't turned off unexpectedly.

9) Settings->Windows Update (clicking Retry see #8 above) - Around 5 updates are listed (see below) along with 'Status: Pending download' and they never ever download or install

I have tried the various suggestions on these forums as follows none of which have rectified the problems;

A) Disabled/Enabled Network Device

B) Uninstalled / Reinstalled Network Device

C) Connected a USB3.0 network dongle and disabled the onboard Realtek ethernet device

D) Disabled Firewall service

E) Manually stopped and restarted the Windows update service (wuauserv)

F) Ran the whole DISM stuff (suggested in these forums somewhere)

G) Booted to SafeMode using 'msconfig' (Why is F8 at boot no longer a thing???)

H) Done the whole "net stop crypt / bits / msiserver" renamed the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and \catroot2

I) Downloaded and installed the May2018 KB4100403 update manually

J) Perform a re-install of Windows10 as a last resort which put me back to square one

* Pending downloads: KB4052623, KB4100347, KB890830, and 2x AMD Radeon graphics drivers

Continue reading...

Back