Windows 10 Windows 10 Upgrade Media Creation tool.

• Thread starter Thread starter biggaman
  • Start date Start date
B

biggaman

Hey guys!

Today I tried to upgrade my old PC to Windows 10 by using the Windows 10 media creation tool. So I downloaded the tool on my Laptop (which already has windows 10 pre-installed) and on my laptop I created an ISO file using the media creation tool and saved it on my laptop's desktop (home-screen) and later used Rufus to create a Bootable USB flash drive from the ISO file.

Now the problem I am facing is that the use if media creation tool did something (I don't know what) and now around 10GB of space has been used up on the native HDD of my laptop that is the C: drive and I am not able to find what exactly is the new file or folder that the MCT created or what data did it store on my C: drive so I am not able to free up that space. So please help me regarding how can I reclaim that wasted space (I even ran the disk cleanup and chkdsk commands but nothing significant was achieved from that). [Please refer to the image attached to this post to see the list of directories/folders in my C: drive and please recommend whether what should I delete]

I even arranged all the folders in the C: drive in ascending order of date/time it was modified to see if I could find the files that were created recently after I used the MCT on my USB flash drive but the latest modified folder is the windows folder and I guess that is the main folder that stores all the operating system related data so I can't delete that. and while doing this I also noticed that there are folders in my C: drive that were modified/created months before I actually bought the laptop which I don't think is normal so please also help me with why these folders are showing such modification dates (could it be a virus or malware, I don't think so because I am using McAffee antivirus) [Please refer to the encircled list of folders given in the attached image to know how early the modification is dated]

P.S. I have bought my laptop on 2nd August 2020 so it's pretty new to be having folders dated so way back in time.

Thanking you in anticipation!

Continue reading...

Back