Windows 10 Windows 10: USB storage drives (flash drives or thumb drives) only recognized if inserted during reboot

• Thread starter Thread starter Darkfire Ranger
  • Start date Start date
D

Darkfire Ranger

Issue: any storage devices that are not powered (external hard drives, thumb drives, etc) aren't recognized by Windows 10 unless I do a restart with them inserted. After that, they appear to work, but I'd prefer not restarting every time I need to open a drive. Some things I've tried (not a comprehensive list by any means, and not in any particular order):

-Uninstalling all USB hubs and reinstalling

-Turning off the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option for the USB hub

-Scanning/fixing the registry

-Updating the BIOS

-Updating the PCI driver (recommended by a tech, wrecked the driver instead and I had to system restore it back to normal...didn't solve the USB issue anyway)

-Running a check disk command

-Running sfc /scannow

-Running DISM.EXE

-Booting into safe mode (interestingly, got the same result--only drives plugged in were acknowledged by the system)

-Turning off fast boot

-Several system restores

-Sitting online and on the phone with Microsoft techs for HOURS

-Swearing (couldn't find a magic combination of expletives there either)

-Dock USB ports--those don't work either

-Set UPnP and Plug and Play services to Automatic but haven't tested that fix yet; I just thought of it. Both were in manual when I switched just now.

Keyboards and mice work so far, as does powered storage (like my phone--it reads both storage locations there just fine). Have tried in-place upgrade of Windows but that didn't do anything. Also tried

Build is Windows 10 for Workstations 1909. All updates have been installed (and some of them walked back and reinstalled). Dell Precision 7520, Xeon processor.

Anyone have any solutions?

Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks in advance! Will post or update (whichever it lets me do) if I come up with a solution on my own.

Continue reading...

Back