Windows 10 Windows 10 VPN Server not working

• Thread starter Thread starter WarrenNeufeld
  • Start date Start date
W

WarrenNeufeld

For years I have used the built-in Windows VPN server. I have W10 Pro 64-bit. Lately, I have been unable to connect and get the following Event ID 20209 error:

A connection between the VPN server and the VPN client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx has been established, but the VPN connection cannot be completed. The most common cause for this is that a firewall or router between the VPN server and the VPN client is not configured to allow Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets (protocol 47).​

I suspect this is incorrect as the VPN stopped working even though I changed nothing on my PC except install the usual W10 updates. I know the router is not the problem or this error message would not appear. VPN passthrough is enabled on the router. Protocol 47 is enabled on my Norton firewall. Disabling the firewall does not help. Netstat -a reveals 0.0.0.0 is listening to port 1723, but no other IP is listening to port 1723. As I said before, the VPN worked perfectly until it didn't. The only changes were windows updates. I suspect the updates are the culprit, and MS hasn't fixed it.

Can anyone help me restore my VPN to a useable state?

Bob

Continue reading...

Back