Windows 10 Windows 10 won't install from USB or DVD. Stalls at flashing cursor and then reboots.

• Thread starter Thread starter Condor57
  • Start date Start date
C

Condor57

I have a workstation running Dual Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz 64 bit processors (Irwindale) that I have been trying to install Windows 10 on. I've heard that Irwindale processors under 3.6 GHz are not compatible with Windows 10 however I've also heard of instances of people with Irwindale CPUs under 3.6 Ghz successfully installing Windows 10.

I can't use the Windows media creation tool as I am currently running Windows XP so I've downloaded the ISO for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I first made an installation USB using Rufus and set my bios to boot to the USB with an empty HDD being the only other device connected and it gets past the bootup and then goes to a black screen with a blinking cursor. If I leave it, the monitor will just go into sleep mode but the cursor remains if I wake it up and nothing ever happens. I thought it was a MBR issue so I made a new bootable USB using WinUSB, which installs grub4dos from which the Windows 10 installation can be manually executed, and it boots fine to grub4dos but when I try to run the Windows Installation I get an 0xc000000f "A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" error.

Yes I have tried different USB ports.

Then I attempted to make a bootable DVD instead using ImgBurn. It burned the ISO fine but fails verification. I'm not sure why...maybe the DVD brand? In any case I can see the files so I changed my BIOS to boot from the DVD.

As before, it gets through the bios bootup sequence and then goes to the blinking cursor only from the DVD it will blink for a few minutes and then reboot and repeate the cycle.

I never get to the Windows 10 installation screen or see an error indicating a system compatibility issue. Just a blinking cursor on a black screen.

I get the same behavior with Windows 10 Pro 32 bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Continue reading...

Back