Windows 10 Windows 10 won't update and Settings app won't open

• Thread starter Thread starter GeniRock
  • Start date Start date
G

GeniRock

I've been dealing with this issue for quite a while and decided to ask the forums for help. My Windows 10 64 bit ran into quite a bit of update errors months ago, which I thought I resolved when clearing space in the C: drive. Now it won't search for updates, notify me about updates, or install updates. I didn't have these issues before when I did the free upgrade from Windows 7. I want to do a fresh reboot of my Windows 10, however the instructions point me to use the Settings app. The biggest problem here is I can't open the Settings app.

I've tried opening the Settings app in several ways. It just flickers on for half a second and disappears. I've looked up several solutions to try to use Settings.

When I run sfc /scannow on my Command Prompt under Administrator, it will stop scanning at 40% every time with the same error message:

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the required operation.

When I run the Get-AppXPackage | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode - Register "$($_.InstallLocation) \AppXManifest.xml"} in the Windows Powershell under Administration, it will cancel and give the same error message where it mentions that the Cortana app is active and it cannot complete the action. I would restart the machine to prevent this error message and it keeps appearing. If I want to switch off Cortana, I have to go to the Setting app and... I can't.

Also, dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth, dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth, and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth do not finish either.

I'm tired of trying solutions through command prompts, so can I uninstall and reinstall Windows 10 with the same product key? All the files in the drive will be lost and that is understandable, I'll be transferring those files to a separate hard drive. If there is a solution to these errors that I can try before doing a reinstall, I would be happy to try them out.

Continue reading...