Windows 7 Windows 7 dual-booted with Kali Linux: "Missing Operating System" OR

• Thread starter Thread starter The.RyanFitzgerald
  • Start date Start date
T

The.RyanFitzgerald

Hi community!

I need help.

I have an HP Elitebook 8560w running Windows 7, dual-booted with Kali Linux. About 18 months ago I manually re-partitioned my harddrive to dual-boot Windows7 with Kali Linux, and both OSs ran fine until a couple of weeks ago, when the built-in disk cleanup utility identified 130+ gB of temporary files. I accidentally clicked on "delete files." I clicked on "cancel" seconds later, but my computer hasn't booted properly since.

When I power on, I get a standard HP welcome message followed by "Missing Operating System"

The BIOS identifies my HDD correctly.

Booting into Windows 7 Recovery via USB and attempting the default Startup Repair gives me an endless loop of messages to the effect that: (paraphrased) "Repairs are pending which require restart to take effect. Startup Repair can't complete until these repairs are finished."

CHKDSK ran for several minutes, once, declared that it had identified several corrupt files (like, 6 or so corrupt files. Not in a single directory, just scattered), and it needed to reboot to repair those files. I rebooted, and CHKDSK never ran successfully again.

Running diskpart via the Windows 7 Recovery USB reveals one giant partition of type"RAW," where my Kali Linux and Windows 7 partitions should be.

Oddly, the Windows GUI elements from the Recovery USB correctly identify my C: drive and D: drive, and they're able to access some of my directories. My files/directories are listed as though they're undamaged, in that environment.

Running bootrec /fixmbr, /rebuildbcd, /fixboot from the Windows 7 Recovery USB did not resolve any of these issues.

I haven't been able to get this system to boot into a "bootable" Gparted DVD thus far. I'm working on that as my next step, unless a community member/angel here at microsoft.com has an alternate suggestion.

I obviously should have just stuck to running Kali from a Kali Live USB.

Continue reading...

Back