Windows 10 Windows Camera Frame Server - memory leak leading to freeze

• Thread starter Thread starter Felipe Ambrosio
  • Start date Start date
F

Felipe Ambrosio

The problem is caused by a service called Windows Camera Frame Server. This service was introduced in Windows 10 1703 to capture the video from a camera, decode it and send it to apps. On Vaio and Dell laptops that I have, this service is very stable and consumes between 10mb and 100mb RAM when running. On my Surface Pro 1796, I noticed that the service went up to 500mb after some minutes, and kept building up until a camera image freeze.

I was able to reproduce the issue on two other Surface Pro 1796 and a Surface Book 2. All you have to do is open the camera app and switch between front and back camera a few times. Alternatively, you can have a Skype video call, because Skype is always adapting the video quality during the call. These things cause the camera to refresh frequently, which leads to the memory leak on this process.

I have tried reinstalling and updating firmware, apps, drivers and Windows itself, as well as disabling many devices and drivers that could be interfering with the USB camera. I have also run the Surface Toolkit. I have also tried installing a fresh copy of Windows from Media Creation Tool, as well as Surface Recovery Image. Nothing worked. I have also reported on the Feedback Hub (Feedback Hub - Windows Insider).

On my own SP 1796:

On a Surface Book 2 at a FNAC store:

Continue reading...

Back