Windows 10 Windows conflict with audio interface - only one channel detected in apps

• Thread starter Thread starter AndrewWoolf
  • Start date Start date
A

AndrewWoolf

I have a brand new USB audio interface, the SSL 2. The problem I am having is with getting any of my software and apps to detect and signal from both channels.

I have a microphone going into channel 1 (XLR), and a keyboard going into channel 2 (jack). My laptop is an Dell XPS 15 9570, running Windows version 10.0.18363.

All playback and monitoring works fine, through headphones and speakers, and all controls on the interface work fine.

In the basic Windows sound settings, and in the sound settings accessed through Control Panel, signals from both channels are being received, and register on the test meters.

However, in all apps, only a signal from channel 1 is getting through. Anything played through channel 2 does nothing. The issue is present in any software in which I use the interface for inputs. DAWs (I primarily use Audacity, but have also installed Ableton Live Lite and it's the same), Zoom, the basic Windows recording app - all pick up channel 1 but not channel 2.

The fact both channels are registering in the Windows sound settings, but not in any apps, leads me to suspect that there is something going in Windows that is interfering with the signal from the interface.

Things already attempted in efforts to resolve:

- reinstalling the SSL driver, and restarting Windows

- tested interface with another laptop, it works ok

- tested current laptop with another interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i2), it works ok

- uninstalling Focusrite software and drivers in case they were interfering

- uninstalling Zoom, as I know it can be pesky

- checking sample rates are the same between Windows and the interface settings (I *think* I've done this right, it's a bit at the limits of my knowledge. The SSL's own control panel says the interface is set to 48000, so I've put that the same everywhere that I could find to do so - Windows settings, DAW settings.)

- experimenting with driver settings in Audacity - MME, Windows Direct Sound, Windows WASAPI. (In any case, I'm dubious it's any settings in the DAW, as this is happening across all apps; Zoom, for example, doesn't offer the same kinds of audio settings.)

- turning off exclusive mode for all devices in control panel sound settings

- swapping out cables, and swapping round channels for the mic/keyboard - either way it's channel 2 which fails to register

It's driving me pretty crazy, so would be massively grateful to find a solution.

Continue reading...

Back