Windows 10 Windows Defeder Missing or Not Running and error 0x80080005 keeps popping up on Windows Update

• Thread starter Thread starter Jan_Michael24
  • Start date Start date
J

Jan_Michael24

Story/Context:

After doing my tasks, I ran an anti-virus scan using Windows Defender while I went ahead and ate lunch. After lunch, I closed everything and shut down my laptop.

My laptop is pretty old, at least 5 years old, but it can still handle everyday tasks. It usually turns off after 30 seconds. But earlier it seems like it took 2 minutes to shut down. No apps were opened and no updates were being installed. I knew something isn't right.

After 6 hours, I turned it on again because I have more things to do. Upon turning it on, I saw the manufacturer's logo twice, after like half a minute, it booted up. I signed in. Then tried to search for Windows Defender, I couldn't find it. It's nowhere from the icons tray, from the start menu, all I can find is the individual pieces of Windows Defender. I checked each one and the anti-virus section shows that there's no data available. So I started to panic, I rushed to my Windows Update and check if there's updates needed to be installed. All it can say is "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80080005)" I observed that my laptop is way slower than yesterday. The default settings app freezes when I switch tabs. I have more things to do and this laptop has already been fixed its hard disk a year ago. I can't afford to fix it nor buy a new laptop. Restarting it doesn't seem to work either. The same issues remain. But so far I can still use it.

Should I be worried?

I'm obviously not familiar with Windows 10 and the possible errors. Out of all the features that I usually ran issues into is the Updates. I'm not sure if I should be worried or carry on my day like nothing happened. So should I be worried?

Issues/Errors Encountered:

1. Error 0x80080005 - This is from the Windows Update section of the settings application. I checked for updates and retried over and over again., but this error still pop-up.
  2. Windows Defender Missing/Got Divided - Windows Defender is usually located in my taskbar. After booting it up 6 hours later, windows defender is missing. After rebooting, still nothing. I can search it up on the start menu but they're not in the main defender app.
  3. Settings App and the laptop itself is slowing down - I get that my laptop is old and to slow for today's standards. But yesterday, it wasn't as slow as today. The settings app has been getting unresponsive every now and then. When I switch to another application and go back, the settings app won't open. I reopen it again to continue my plans. But it still freezes from time to time. No apps are running in the background other than Chrome or apps that usually eats a ton of RAM.

What should I do?

I have experience having issues with Windows Update before. I don't want to do something that could brick this laptop. I have a lot of documents to do, future tasks to perform, and so on. So please may I ask what should I do next? I'll try to stay active and reply as much as possible.

Thank You for noticing me!

Continue reading...

Back