Windows 10 Windows Defender for VDI - error trying to update security intelligence - 0x80070005

• Thread starter Thread starter DaveBaker1
  • Start date Start date
D

DaveBaker1

Hi

We've configured a UNC share for VM's to fetch defender updates and have configured group policy correctly so the VM's download from the share.

Our VM's are not updating - but the error suggests the SYSTEM account does not have access. I have validated that the SYSTEM account does have access by running psexec -i -s cmd.exe, and then browsing to our \\windefender\definition\mpam-fe.exe file and I am able to run the .exe without error, and defender updates fine, so it's clearly not an access problem.

Windows Defender Antivirus has encountered an error trying to update security intelligence.

New security intelligence Version: 1.331.1570.0
Previous security intelligence Version: 1.329.2929.0
Update Source: Shared security intelligence Root
Security intelligence Type: AntiSpyware
Update Type: Full
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Current Engine Version: 1.1.17800.5
Previous Engine Version: 1.1.17700.4
Error code: 0x80070005
Error description: Access is denied.

I have seen this error reported on a seperate thread and the advice from microsoft was to run /sfcscan and the typical 'repair' options for the image - this is unnecessary so can someone explain why we see this error? Note, there are no UAC issues here - the logged in user can launc the mpam-fe.exe package over the network (and this updates the VM) , and the SYSTEM account can also do this - so why do the group policy settings fail to update teh VM's? What is the workaround or fix for this please?

Thanks

David

Continue reading...

Back